My ex-wife is insisting that our 12 yr.old son has
major depression and put him on medication, counseling,
and took him out of school. I have him weds and fri nights
and every other weekend, also 1 week vacation and there are several times a year i will have him for long weekends. She has him the rest of the time.
I dont see it, neither do the people we associate with.
I keep thinking that if he was as depressed as she says
I would see it. When he is with me he seems fine, playing, laughing, etc. Am I wrong to think this?

Ben's Answer

I can't be the judge of whether your son is depressed or not. But I can tell you that antidepressant medication for a 12 year old carries plenty of risks. I also find it a bit unusual that he was taken out of school, given the fact that you find him to be acting happy - playing, and laughing. If he is seeing a psychiatrist for medication, and a therapist - then you should be involved in that - and in most states it is your legal right to be involved; A child therapist should be open to meeting with you - either alone, or with your ex-wife - or with your son - or all of you together. You need to be on the same page and make a joint decision on the best course of care for your son.

Take Care,
Ben Schwarcz, MFT
Santa Rosa Psychotherapist

Order Now

NEW EFT/Meridian Tapping eBOOK!

Tapping Into Joy: Meridian Tapping and Mindfulness for Depression

With bonus Tap-Along Audio Book and Full-length Guided Meditation Audio

A 96-Page guide to lead you out of the darkness of depression and into the light of your own True Self.

Learn to use Meridian Tapping/EFT for your own self-healing from Depression, Anxiety, Trauma and Stress. Step by Step instructions from the basics to the subtle art of getting powerful results quickly, even with complex issues.

singing bowls and flutes
Guided Meditation for Depression, Anxiety and Stress

Click here to post comments

Return to Ask a Therapist.

Share this page:
Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...

Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?

  1. Click on the HTML link code below.
  2. Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment, your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.